Director of Development
Type of Organization: Non-Profit
Employee Count: under 25 employees
Salary: $100,000-$120,000 annual
About the Organization:
Junior Achievement (JA) is dedicated to inspiring and preparing young people with the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in a global economy. Our vision at Junior Achievement of Greater Fairfield County (JAGFC) is to ensure that every young person in greater Fairfield County is sufficiently prepared to pursue their career of choice and manage their personal finances. As a solution provider, JAGFC works with local youth and community members throughout Greater Fairfield County to achieve greater social and economic equity and to help close the opportunity gap. JA’s K-12 programs focus on three pathways: financial literacy, work and career readiness, and entrepreneurship. Through relevant and innovative programs taught by volunteer role models, we provide the linkage from education to workforce, encouraging economic mobility.
The Director of Development works closely with and reports to the President of JAGFC. This full time, senior level position is responsible for leading the organization’s advancement initiatives and building a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization. This position provides the Strategy and Implementation Plan for the fundraising, marketing, and communications activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with President and Board of Directors to create and implement the Strategic Plan, organizational goals, and performance measurements for all fundraising programs including Major and Planned Giving, Direct Mail, Special Events, Corporate and Foundation Giving
- Grows and develops strategic fundraising programs; manages and cultivates a portfolio of high-capacity individual, corporate, and foundation relationships
- Leads, manages, and directs the work of high-performing fundraising staff, including monitoring and evaluating all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals and metrics are being achieved and are consistent with the Strategic Plan and revenue goals.
- Stewards and motivates fundraising leaders and volunteers working closely with the Development Committee and the Board of JA.
- Develops effective communications to best articulate the organization’s unique position, achievements, and its vision for the future. These communications include written case statements and appeals to promote funding needs and opportunities, while working closely with the Marketing Committee to develop and implement a comprehensive internal and external communications plan.
- Cultivates and sustains long term relationships that result in significant funding from a variety of sources.
- Ensures that all development objectives are met and exceeded in alignment with the Strategic Plan and revenue budget
- Works closely with Program staff to identify new sources of financial and volunteer support and new opportunities to engage prospects and donors.
- Other related duties as assigned by the President.
Qualifications or Skills/Experience:
- An independent thinker who values collaboration and inclusivity, knows how to solve problems, build relationships and implement solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher education level, or a minimum of 5-7+ years of successful major gift fundraising experience at a senior level with other similar philanthropic organizations
- Ability and proven track record in soliciting, cultivating, and closing major gifts and planned gifts
- Excellent relationship-building and a customer service orientation that leads to sustainable and mutually beneficial partnerships
- Proven experience in a senior leadership role managing and mentoring the Development team
- Energy and optimism and a commitment to JA’s mission
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds
- Proficient in Microsoft office suite; application and use of customer relations database (CRM )systems (BCRM, QGive, First Giving)
- CFRE or comparable experience
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation; willingness to travel within the organization’s territory
Benefits: Junior Achievement – Greater Fairfield County offers a competitive benefits package, including health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, disability, 401k and a hybrid work schedule of 2-3 days per week in the office.
JAGFC values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
JAGFC is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment, hiring, promotions, and other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment shall be maintained in a manner which does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or military status, or in violation of any applicable Federal, state or local laws.
Please direct all questions and resumes for the posting above to Valerie Cinkovic.